Do you separate art from the artist?

Scene Vamp

Staff member
do you separate the art from the artist? if an artist has done something bad i.e bad crime or something? would you stop consuming their music/ art or would you continue to watch. just want to know your views no judgement.

Full separation for me. Mostly because I just genuinely don't care about people's personal lives, I'm just there for the content they create. Example - I enjoy listening to a lot of black metal bands, where it is known that some members committed various crimes. Sure, it's messed up, but it is what it is, you know? If the art itself speaks to me, and I really like it, I won't start hating it because the artist sucks as a person.

Full separation for me. Mostly because I just genuinely don't care about people's personal lives, I'm just there for the content they create. Example - I enjoy listening to a lot of black metal bands, where it is known that some members committed various crimes. Sure, it's messed up, but it is what it is, you know? If the art itself speaks to me, and I really like it, I won't start hating it because the artist sucks as a person.
I see what you mean, thank you for your opinion. I think that people are not perfect but can make great content.
I have heard that alot of crazy things have happened in the black metal scene.
I feel like I feel the same way as you in some ways.

Yeah, exactly. Unless the artist is someone I know personally (as a friend/acquaintance/colleague for example), and they directly wronged me in some way, I'm most likely not going to give much thought to what they've done or what opinions they have.
I know it can be a bit of a controversial take though, especially when it's things that are very recent/ongoing, like artists actively talking shit on twitter or whatever other platform. As opposed to the black metal scene stuff, that's from like 30 years ago, hah.

yeah i see what you mean, it's common that artists get into scandals, but they can make good stuff. I dont think your take is that controversial in my opinion its a OK take.

Yeah I don’t really associate their behaviour or their doings with their music/art. If I like their work I will continue to support them although it really all depends how bad the wrongdoing was. I wouldn’t continue supporting a rapist for example.

Back